Din Tai Fung Crispy Beef Strips
How to prepare your Crispy Beef Strips:
- Thaw out the beef strips in the fridge overnight.
- In a clean deep pan, pour your choice of cooking oil to around 1-2 inches high, or just enough for deep frying. Heat the oil over high heat until the temperature reaches 170 C, for around 15-18 minutes. Note: If without a thermometer, dip the end of a wooden spoon or chopstick into oil. If the oil steadily bubbles around the utensil, it should be ready. If bubbling is too vigorous, oil is too hot.
- In a clean bowl, prepare an egg wash by combining 1 whole egg with ¼ cup of water.
- Coat beef strips with egg wash and evenly dredge with 200gm (roughly 2 cups) of cornstarch. Shake off excess cornstarch.
- Gradually and slowly add the beef strips into the hot oil. Make sure the beef strips are loose and not stuck together.
- Deep fry the beef until golden brown and crispy, for around 7-8 minutes. If needed, fry in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. If beef pieces clump together, break apart with tongs.